Do I Need a Solicitor to Buy a House?

Essentially, yes!

Buying a house is probably the largest personal purchase you will ever make, and it is also one of the most complex, with the greatest risk should you get it wrong.

UK land law is complicated, there are many pitfalls when it comes to checking out the legalities of the purchase: drawing up contracts, liaising with the seller and their solicitors, dealing with local authority, environment, water and drainage searches; checking that the property is as per the land registry, restrictive covenants, potential issues with rights of way, and simply ensuring that you getting what you are paying for when it comes to the property, and fixtures and fittings.

And things can be even more complicated when buying leasehold property - dealing with lease terms, service agreements, and the potential need to negotiate lease extensions (which is why fees for leasehold conveyancing are generally more than for buying freehold property).

There is no statutory reason why you should use a solicitor, but without real knowledge and experience of the legalities you'd be quite mad to try to do it yourself!

Given the complexity of process, solicitors fees are surprisingly reasonable, particularly when considered in relation to the value of the property, and the risks should things not be done correctly.

Solicitor vs Conveyancer

It should be mentioned in the context of this article, the term solicitor can be viewed as interchangeable with Licensed Conveyancer. Licensed Conveyancers are legal specialists exclusively dealing with property transactions, and will fulfill exactly the same role as a solicitor. Indeed many solicitors' firms will employ Licensed Conveyancers to undertake this work on their behalf.

Also need a home survey?

Visit our sister site pin smallLocal Building Surveyors

Also proudly powering the surveyor search on...

Zoopla Need a Property  Totally Moving MoveMe BAR - British Association of Removers
Thatch Advice CentreThe Moving Centre


Need Survey Quotes?

It is strongly recommended that you get an independent survey on your new home. To get instant quotes for your survey, visit our sister site Local Building Surveyors.

To be listed on Local Building Surveyors, surveyors must be either a RICS Member (MRICS/FRICS) or a Firm Regulated by the RICS, so you can be assured that your survey will be carried out by a fully qualified regulated professional.

Local Building Surveyors

Moving Home?

Moving home? Want quotes for other services?

Save time and get quotes for surveys, removals and more from reputable companies in your area. Our quote service is quick, easy-to-use, and FREE

Conveyancer Signup

If you are a solicitor or licensed conveyancer and want to sign up, click here to find out more and sign up.

Secure Site

Secure Site - PadlockThis site is secured by SSL (https) so you can be sure your information is secure and cannot be intercepted. Click the padlock in your browser address bar for the certificate details. 

Become a Partner

Do you want to add value to your property website by adding one of our find-a-professional search facilities to your site? Click here for more information...